Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Paper Wardrobe

I don't know what it is about dress-up that is so fascinating to kids, but I believe that a kid has not been born who did not play dress-up at some point or other. I supposed when you are very young, it is not that you don't know who you are yet, but rather that you are no body, and at the same time you are every body. It's that incredible feeling that you could be anything you want just by donning the habit. It's very different when we're adults. Not only do we lose that strange but wonderfully tolerant imagination that kids have, but there is always some expectation for us to be one thing or another.

But that's enough philosophizing for one day I think.

When I was little, I always liked to cut up little pieces of my old clothes and make miniature clothes for my dolls. Turns out this is much easier. If only I could make my own clothes out of paper to avoid going shopping. I hate shopping.
(Click on "READ MORE" below for the full collection.)


 Here are some tacky shirts that you 
would die if your dad ever wore.






A coat to cover them up.


A bunch of dresses 
(I am into dresses these days 
for some peculiar reason.)





A yukata with obi.






And of course, 
evening wear.



I had a lot of fun with all of the different patterns and types of paper. It was kind of like working with actual material.

Here is a good resource for some these models and more to start you off. Soon you'll find yourself improvising like I did with the red dress. And here is a tutorial for the shiny blue evening gown.


No comments:

Post a Comment